Monday, March 1, 2010

A Bouquet of Daffodils


Several years ago I got interested in bulbs-the idea of putting a small, brown object in the ground and having it transform itself into a thing of beauty a few months later just facinated me-I did some research, talked to other gardeners and landscapers, and decided that daffodils were the best bet for our area-low maintenence-deer resistant AND they multiply-so off I go to get daff bulbs-thanks to a condition I struggle with-OCD-anything worth doing is worth over-doing-and I arrive home with 3 crates of daff bulbs(about 500). We have an alder grove at the corner of our farm just crying out for some spring color and daffs are the answer! I prepare to plant-dividing the bulbs into groups of 50-a large box of bone meal-small bulb planter-and off I go on a clear,beautiful October morning-desiring to beautify our little corner of the world. I carefully place each bulb into attractive groupings-dig small holes-twice the depth of the bulbs width and proceed to plant my first 50 bulbs-this could take awhile-I get through my second batch of 50 bulbs and decide there has to be an easier, faster method-taking off on the "naturalizing" aspect of daffs, I devise a new plan-I now stand in the general area where I want the bulbs-bag of 50 in handand begin to toss them,gently, in the air-where ever they land is where they get planted-I take my LARGE shovel, put a slice in the ground, push the handle forward opening an area where I drop in some bone meal,drop in the bulb or bulbs,remove the shovel and step on the soil that remains-Now, isn't that simple!


Daffs are a hardy lot and over the years I have been rewarded with georgeous spring blooms in the alder grove. I've added different sizes, colors and bloom times of daffs -almost every fall I plant some more. I've also added some snowdrops and crocus here and there for variety and we enjoy early spring color for many weeks, just when we need it the most.

Sometimes I cut daffs to sell at the Farmers Market or to enjoy inside, but mostly I love them in their natural setting. The entire neighborhood seems to love watching them grow-usually beginning in January-the first tips emerge and we all anticipate the coming show-AHHHH-simple pleasures. So, if you are out and about on San Juan Island and love daffodils, at the corner of Miller Road and Three Corner Lake Road, the show is beginning.....and it's FREE! ENJOY!





P.S.My new favorite gardening book: Gardening in the Pacific Northwest by Carol and Norman Hall from Timber Press. It's fabulous, informative and the photography is very inspiring. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment